The History Of Hyde Park

Hyde Park named after William Hyde, is an amazingly racially diverse neighborhood! Located at the foot of the McKinley Bridge. Hyde Park itself has sat in the middle of the neighborhood since the 19th century. The park saw history unfold during the Civil War. On July 4, 1863, four Union soldiers and two fairgoers died during a riot that

Pond Scene in Hyde Park. Photograph by Emil Boehl, ca. 1890 Missouri History Museum Photograph and Print Collection. Parks n38697

exploded out of the wartime tensions in the city. There is evidence in the homes in Hyde Park of “underground railroads” that housed slaves.

The neighborhood known as Hyde Park was once the town of Bremen. Among the many Germans who migrated to the St. Louis area in the 1840’s were quite a few who were natives of the German city of Bremen. Since many of these families had settled along Bellefontaine Road, this area was given the name of New Bremen after their home town. A survey of the town area was executed by Edward Hutawa in 1844 at the direction of the four principal property owners; George Buchanan, E. C. Angelrodt, N. N. Destrehan and Emil Mallinckrodt. They were the incorporators of the town of Bremen in 1850 and the four east-west streets were named in their honor. Broadway was the main street and was dedicated as a public highway on May 10, 1852.

Hyde Park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Hyde Park Neighborhood constitutes a hub with spokes accessing Old North St. Louis, Downtown St. Louis, Gateway Arch, Union Station, Anheuser Busch the historic Soulard Market, Saint Louis University complexes, the Fox Theatre and Powell Symphony Hall, the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), Forest Park, and the Missouri Botanical Garden all within Hyde Park’s reach. Easy access to Highways 70, 44, 55, and 64 makes outlying areas easy to reach.

Like much of the North Side, the neighborhood possesses a wealth of landmarks. Originally founded north of the city of St. Louis as the town of Bremen, Hyde Park sits on gently rolling hills that rise up to the College Hill neighborhood. This is a beautiful park with a gazebo, fountain, stocked lake, service building with electric and playgrounds. Hyde Park is neighbored by Windsor Park less than 3 blocks away. Windsor Park holds a secret beneath its grounds: the former site of the Perkinson Quarry saw the mining of limestone before its abandonment and conversion into green space which is now the home basketball courts, softball field and tennis courts.

Two blocks from Hyde Park sits the beautiful Divoll Branch Carnegie Library which dates back to December 5, 1910 when the branch opened at 1100 Farrar Street in the Hyde Park Neighborhood. It is the sixth of seven Andre Carnegie branches in St. Louis.

Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church might be the most visible landmark in Hyde Park. Sitting along I-70, the Gothic Revival church, built in 1899. 

To the west, the red brick and terracotta Bethlehem Lutheran church stood at the corner of Salisbury and North Florissant since 1895; it finally succumbed to demolition in the summer of 2014.

Only 5 water towers like these are left in the world and 3 of the 5 are in St. Louis – 2 of them are in the Hyde Park.